"Wavescan" is a weekly program for long distance radio hobbyists produced by Dr. Adrian M. Peterson, Coordinator of International Relations for Adventist World Radio. AWR carries the program over many of its stations (including shortwave). Adrian Peterson is a highly regarded DXer and radio historian, and often includes features on radio history in his program. We are reproducing those features below, with Dr. Peterson's permission and assistance.
Wavescan 423, February 2, 2003
On the Air in New Guinea with Radio in Port Moresby
Way back in the year 1913 during the spark wireless era, AWA established a coastal wireless station, VIG, in Port Moresby. In 1921 this facility was reconstructed and a valve transmitter was installed. In the era before the Pacific War, communication station VIG relayed on shortwave the commercial programming from its mediumwave sister station 4PM.
At one stage, these broadcasts were on the air on Sunday evenings twice a month with additional coverage for special occasions. These broadcasts were heard frequently in Australia and New Zealand and occasionally in the United States. A special QSL card, upon which was printed also their schedule, was issued to verify reception reports.
The AWA communication station VIG had been installed in Wonga Cottage at Five Mile, which was located rather obviously five miles from Port Moresby. The studios and transmitter for the commercial broadcasting station, 4PM, were located within Port Moresby in a house on Musgrave Street opposite St Maryís Cathedral and overlooking Ella Beach.
The broadcasting station 4PM was closed in mid December 1941 due to wartime exigencies, and the 100 watt transmitter was removed and placed in storage with VIG in Wonga Cottage at Five Mile.
For a period of around two years during the Pacific War, there was no radio broadcasting station on the air in Port Moresby. However, when the American forces flooded into the South Pacific in support of the war effort, there was a need for a radio broadcasting station in Port Moresby. In actual fact, they did establish their own temporary and unofficial station in Port Moresby under the callsign WHMS, and there was also an unofficial Australian operation known as RAAF Radio on the air over at Milne Bay.
However, General Douglas MacArthur wanted a substantial station and he sought the co-operation of the Australian authorities. Out of these negotiations, grew the very familiar wartime radio station 9PA-9AA, which was established as a joint Australian-American operation under the control of the Australian PMG and ABC, and with programming input from commercial stations in both Australia and the United States.
Several areas around Port Moresby were investigated for suitability for the new station, and finally a site was chosen adjacent to Wonga Cottage, the home of the AWA coastal station VIG that also housed temporarily the silent transmitter from 4PM.
Several Quonset huts were hastily erected and the equipment for the new 9PA was installed, including a new 500 watt Philips transmitter from Australia. However, this transmitter always operated at half power, 250 watts, due to local electricity restrictions.
Radio station 9PA was officially opened by General Douglas MacArthur and the ABC Director-General, Lieut-Colonel Sir Charles Moses on February 24, 1944. The official inauguration service for the new 9PA was relayed on shortwave to Australia by the adjacent AWA coastal station VIG for re-broadcast by the Australia-wide ABC mediumwave network.
Several months later, an officer in the Australian air force visited the new 9PA and reported that it was ìa very nice operation.î He also stated that there was another transmitter on the air relaying the programming from 9PA on the same channel 1250 kHz. This second transmitter was acting as a repeater unit to increase the coverage area of the primary transmitter. It is thought that this second transmitter was the old 100 watt 4PM at a new location and on temporary loan to ABC-AFRS.
A few months later, the Americans left Port Moresby for the island areas further north and 9PA was taken over by the Australian army as an AAAS (Australian Army Amenities Service) station and re-designated as 9AA. A few months later again, 9AA was taken over completely by the ABC-PMG and the callsign reverted back to the former 9PA.
Soon after the inauguration of the mediumwave station 9PA-9AA-9PA and just before the end of the Pacific War, the coastal radio station VIG began once again to carry broadcast programming, this time under the slogan ìRadio Guinea.î Programming was generally a relay from mediumwave 9PA and some of these broadcasts were taken on relay by the ABC network in Australia.
Soon after the commencement of this new series of 9PA-VIG relays, reports of another mediumwave station in Port Moresby began to surface in Australia and New Zealand. This new station was listed as a 100 watt station on the channel 1010 kHz with the callsign 9PM, an obvious reference to the earlier station 4PM. This station was noted in New Zealand and it was also listed in the 1949 edition of the FIBS directory ìBroadcasting Stations of the Worldî issued by FIBS-USIA-VOA in the United States.
The few DX reports at the time do not give any information regarding the programming from the new 9PM, though the ownership is clearly stated as AWA. It is thought that this 100 watt transmitter was the same transmitter that was on the air earlier as 4PM and that was apparently on the air subsequently as an extension relay for 9PA.
At the time when station 9PA was launched, it was conjectured among some radio personnel in Australia and New Zealand that 9PA was a revived 4PM. However, the weight of evidence would suggest that 9PA was not a revived 4PM but rather a replacement radio broadcasting service that superseded 4PM.
This then is the saga of time related callsigns in Australia and Papua New Guinea. These radio stations were: In Australia, 2AM, 3AM, 4AM, 6AM and 6PM; in Port Moresby New Guinea, 4PM and 9PM.